CROSSFIT LAKE CITY'S

NUTRITIONAL BLOG

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Shepards Pie

If you haven't noticed yet there is another food challenge going on this month, and there will be another next so come prepared. In order to help those of us on the challenges stay focused I am going to try and provide all of us with some new options (more often) for meals.
Today's addition is one I've been wanting to do for a long time and really have had no excuse as to why I haven't.  We tried it with sweet potatoes and yams, I preferred the sweet potatoes, better consistency  and flavor (in my opinion) but overall this recipe was a keeper in our household.


SHEPARD'S PIE INGREDIENTS:

Ground Beef (we used 1/2 of a Costco package)
3 handfuls+ diced baby carrots
6 stalks diced celery
 1 diced sweet onion
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 C. beef broth
4 large sweet potatoes (or yams)
coconut oil
4 large sliced mushrooms
oregano, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper

COOKING DIRECTIONS:

Scrub and cube the sweet potatoes and put in a pot and a steamer and steam until tender. You can do this in the microwave as well, I just like the consistency of the steamed vegys better. When they are steamed, mash to your liking. I like it smooth and creamy so Andy had to mash for awhile :) 
Set oven to 400 degrees.
While the potatoes are steaming, heat coconut oil in a large frying pan. Add garlic, onions, celery and carrots, cook until tender. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, put aside.  Add the ground beef to the pan add all the spices to your liking ( I do about 3-5 shakes of the bottle with each, I know not very helpful I'll try to remember to measure next time.) Cook until fully browned.
Mix vegys and meat together and spread out in a baking dish, cover with beef broth. You can choose to boil the broth with some coconut flour if you would like, some say it thickens it, however, I think it changes the taste and texture, I wasn't to fond of it. Cover the top with the mashed potatoes (this is very sticky so push a little into the meat mixture to get the potatoes to stay in place.) Place in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until the broth starts to boil and the potatoes look slightly browning on the edges.
we didn't even wait for it to cool we dug right in, everyone loved it!!!1




0 comments:

Post a Comment