CROSSFIT LAKE CITY'S

NUTRITIONAL BLOG

Friday, September 28, 2012

"Butter my butt and call me a Biscuit"!!!



 So, apparently I am on a grain bread substitute kick because this next post is for biscuits.
And a side note, we have been using a lot of substitutes for flour lately and I know it gets spendy, but, if you're willing, Huckleberrys in Spokane on Monroe (South Hill) has almond and coconut flour in bulk much much cheaper than what you can buy in the small little pre-packaged bags at the local stores.

I got this amazing recipe from the one and only Robb Wolff the man who introduced me to Paleo and changed my families life forever!!! (For the good of course.)

Ingredients:
1/2 C. Coconut flour
1/4 C Almond Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsn coconut oil (cold so it's solid but soft)
6 egg whites

(*The egg whites are a bit of a downer becuase I always feel like Im wasting the yokes, but we save them and scramble them with breakfast or in other baking goods.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Blend all of the dry ingredients.  For this next step I used my pastry cutter, but you can use a food processor on pulse or 2 knives between your fingers. Cut in the cold oil until it looks like even little balls or course sand.

 Next, whisk the egg whites until completely frothy, you can use a food processor or hand blender for this, I guess I was feeling kinda "frothy" my self and did it by hand. (Ha). 

Gently fold the egg whites into the dry ingredients just until nicely blended, don't stir vigorously or roughly.



















Leaving a rather sticky but light and fluffy dough.















Distribute the dough evenly on a cooking sheet. If you have the luxury of using a cooking stone great if not make sure to grease the sheet so the biscuits don't stick.










Place in over, cook about 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and enjoy warm or put in a tupperware in the fridge for later.
We used them with Ragu (a recipe about 2 months ago) to soak up the broth and the next morning for sausage and egg breakfast biscuits and also found delicious with honey!!!!! If you visit Robbs site robbwolf.com he's got a recipe added to this one for biscuits and gravy haven't tried it yet but promises to be a winner.

0 comments:

Post a Comment