CROSSFIT LAKE CITY'S

NUTRITIONAL BLOG

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mounds of Primal Goodness

Ok so don't we all have a sweet tooth? I know at least all of us here at Crossfit Lakecity do! I get everyone drooling while we stretch after a hard wod talking about the recipes I'm working on or something I had made. These were no exception, in fact I think we are planning a game night just so I can make these for the group...

I'm a sucker for chocolate and I never like coconut growing up, however since going primal almost a year ago I have grown fond of it. I have to say I've never eaten a mounds, but I imagine that they taste like these little bit of heavens that I made a few weeks ago. Enjoy and beware it is easy to eat way too much of these. The good side is they are chock full of healthy fat!

For the filling:
1/4 C. Coconut oil
1/8 C. Honey
2/3 C. Shredded coconut
1/4 C. Almonds

Melt the coconut oil and honey together in the microwave add the coconut, if you are using flake coconut you will want to pulse it in a blender or food processor a few times to break it down a bit. If its shredded coconut I think it would work as is.

Put the coconut filling into molds or small muffin tins. Toast the nuts until they are fragrant (don't skip this step, it brings out the flavors) You can use sliced nuts and sprinkle them over the coconut filling or like I did use whole almonds and chop them before adding them to the mix.

Chocolate topping:
1/4 C. Cocoa powder
2 TBSP Honey
1/3 C. Coconut oil
2 tsp. Vanilla
Heat in a bowl in the microwave and stir until it is smooth. Spoon over the coconut filling and chill in the freezer until set.


The finished product! These would be perfect for a Valentines day treat that is clean and delicious! I know I'll be making them for my Valentine, I found some cute heart molds at Michael's that will really add a nice touch.





4 comments:

Debra said...

That looks so good!

Jenn Shell said...

O!M!G!!!!!! Carley those are awesome!!!!!!!

Jenn Shell said...

OK so I made these today and they were amazing to taste but I think I messed something up, they weren't as pretty as yours, the chocolate sunk to the bottom instead of staying on the top in that pretty covering. help want them to look perfectly pretty like yours.

Carley said...

try freezing the coconut filling before you put the chocolate over the top, Ill bet that would help!

Post a Comment