CROSSFIT LAKE CITY'S

NUTRITIONAL BLOG

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Are You Sweet Or Savory?

I Personally am sweet, not only in personality(hehe), I have a huge sweet tooth! I am waist deep in my love for winter foods right now. What says comfort like a nice winter squash? My personal favorite is a butternut squash. It is so sweet and I feel that it can be used interchangeably with pumpkin. Its a super food and is great for a post wod re-fuel. So pick your poison are you sweet or evil I mean savory?

Step 1: For either dish is to peel your squash, use those muscles and your patience for this job!

Step 2: I like to cut it into round disc's, then cube it or cut it into strips from there, you can see both ways here.

We will start with the savory version first. I like to use the cubed squash for this. Take about 3 cups of the cubes squash and put it on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Pour over a few TBSP balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. paprika, 1/2 tsp. cayenne (you can leave this out I just LOVE the added spice) and a few dashes salt and pepper. Give it a quick toss right on the pan and put into a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes until the squash is fork tender.


Here is the finished product, it gets all nice and caramelized and is so tasty!



Now for the sweet this is simple and tastes like candy to me! Just take some of the squash and cut it into strips. Place on a lightly greased sheet pan and sprinkle generously with cinnamon and nutmeg. Add a little sprinkle of sea salt and put in the oven using the same directions as above.




Look at how good they look! They get a crust of tasty deliciousness and really are like candy trust me! I like to make a batch of both and snack on them throughout the week.







3 comments:

Nicole said...

Yummy I LOVE butternut squash!!! My Costco carries it already pealed and chopped, which is nice.

Carley said...

Oh that makes it so much easier! Be on the look out for a stew that i made with squash and a whole bunch of spices with cilantro, that was last nights dinner... I will post it soon!

Jenn Shell said...

I use that squash all the time, with this idea my kids LOVE IT!!!!

Post a Comment